The fun about cooking is when you can decide what ingredients go into the end product. So today, I decided to attempt homemade mayonnaise for my potato salad.
- 2 egg yolks
- 200g of olive oil (you can also use other type of oils)
- 2 tsp of dijon mustard (for the spiciness)
- 1/4 lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
Method of Cooking:
- Whisk egg yolk and dijon mustard till pale yellow.
- Add in the olive oil gradually, whisking the mixture at the same time.
- Once the mayonnaise is well-mixed, add the lemon juice, salt and pepper (for seasoning) and gently mix it in.
- It is ready to serve. Otherwise, it can be keep up to a week in the refrigerator.
Points to Note:
- The first 30 seconds of pouring in the olive oil (according to Gordon Ramsay) into the beaten egg yolk is crucial as it is also the easiest point which the mayonnaise may spilt.
It is indeed an enjoyment to cook and learn the process of how the food we eat are made. So get your hands cooking today!!